About Me

My photo
Teaching is my passion and my mission!

Friends

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Hoorah for Horses!

I am able to blog in the middle of a week day because my county is having (drum roll please….) HORSE SHOW BREAK!!! Yes. The Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration is held in Shelbyville where I teach, and so many people go and are involved that we shut down school for a whole week! At first I thought it would be a bummer to finally get the kids into a routine after 3 weeks, only to have them leave and come back remembering nothing. However, each year so far the kiddos come back and things are completely normal. It’s a great opportunity to reinforce procedures, though, and I always do. We also usually get a few students moving around when we come back, so I may have a new kiddo to explain our procedures to.

During my Horse Show Break I have been to Dallas to visit some dear friends and their 14 month old daughter. We had a great time! Now I am reading, sunning, hanging out with my mom, cleaning, cooking, and sleeping in for the remainder of the break. Oh, and blogging! Smile 

The first 3 weeks of school have gone very well considering (considering the crazy political drama going on right now regarding our budget and high numbers of students). My class is doing a great job learning how to be first graders! We have gone over a lot of procedures and they are picking them up quickly. I always block out the first few weeks of school because they are so hard, but this year I am feeling really good and relaxed! Maybe it’s just a great mix of kids, or maybe its that I am becoming more comfortable with starting a class. Probably both!

Quick room tour!! I do apologize that I took these pictures with the lights of when the room was messy . :/

033

A new addition to the room this year: my mom’s easel! She made this for us when we were little and I added some chalkboard paint to it. It will be great for word work!

034

I moved the small group table. The salmon colored shelves hold basal leveled readers, trade books organized by theme, my files, and mentor texts. The yellow shelf holds our math workstations, other math materials, and our “Penguin Pals”. And one broken ukulele Winking smile.

035

Our carpet area got shifted around, too. You can see our heart that we crumpled during Chrysanthemum.

036

My door! I found this amazing Penguin Crossing sign at the St. Louis Zoo this summer and HAD TO HAVE IT!! We rezoned this year and our class lists were changing every minute it seemed, so I skipped out on putting names on the door this year. But I feel like this door is just as cute and inviting!

037

Know, Understand, Do (yes I know Understand is missing!) board. This is new following our curriculum maps. We will put what we need to Know, Understand, and Do on it as we move through our units.

038

Word Wall (post-it style!) and FACE board for reading. FACE goes with the CAFÉ book, but I saw someone had rearranged it to say face, so I changed it last year. I am having some pictures of the kids reading printed during break, so soon this board will be covered with cute kids and strategies!

039

Desks in rows this time. I usually do 2 long rows facing each other, but we re-read First Days of School by Harry Wong this summer and he suggested forward facing rows, so I’m trying it out. Only problem is that the rows end up like zigzags by the end of the day… Smile

040

My desk! Got a new table cloth this year and moved the classroom library on that side of the room.

041

Classroom library! Blue bins for the kids (levels and genres) and red boxes for me! This is also where we keep other reading manipulatives. Notice our love of Helen Lester, Mo Willems, and Kevin Henkes Smile.

Last Thursday we were able to take the kids on a field trip to the Horse Show! They really enjoyed it. We saw lots of horses, the stadium, ate “horse show donuts”, and even got to see some of the classes being judged!

 070

The kids were cheering for all the “cowboys and cowgirls”, even though we didn’t have a clue what was really going on! I don’t follow the horse show, and it was my first time to go, too. So we just enjoyed looking at everything and eating our fried donuts. We got back to school and made a bubble map about the horse show, then drew and wrote about it.

This summer I got the idea to have my students write about things we learn as a class blog! They will decide what to write about, then write and draw or take pictures and I will put it up on the blog for them. I need to get permissions to have their work and photographs shown when we go back to school. I am really excited about this endeavor, and I can’t wait to share what we do with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment