About Me

My photo
Teaching is my passion and my mission!

Friends

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Monday, April 4, 2011

How To

This week we are doing a *quick* How To writing study!

It looks like this: Day One (I am not at school... so this is a modified sub plan..) class writing "How to Make a Cupcake". This is an assessment. I will simply write what the kiddies tell me and we will use this to see how we can improve our writing.

Day Two: Students will examine some How To texts (I'll show them the how to I followed to make baby headbands over spring break, an example in our basal, and *hopefully* a library book as well). We will notice that these texts have in introduction, sentences organized in steps, pictures, and a list of materials needed. Students will brainstorm together about things they know how to do and choose a topic. They will use a planning sheet to get started!

Day Three: I bring in the materials for a PB&J! I ask how to make it and follow the kids directions EXACTLY! Should be pretty hilarious.... Then we will discuss how you need to be specific in your directions. They will finish their planning/start on their books today.

Day Four: We discuss the introduction. Tell people why they want to do this. Is it fun? Is it easy? Will it help them? We write a group introduction for "How to Make a Cupcake". Then they write their own intros. After those are finished, they continue to write their books. I will be furiously conferencing!! Starting with my low babies who will need the most help organizing.

Day Five: We work, work, work! Conference, write, trace, cut, glue, staple, trace, decorate, reread, and FINALLY SHARE!!!

I think it will be great. My kids LOVE Writer's Workshop and this will be a fun way to relax after Think Linking all morning long.
If you want the worksheets/organizers I made for this, just leave me a comment with your email address!! I'll happily share! (putting the last doc. up caused me much stress.... I need a tutorial haha. So for now, I'll just email it if you need it.)

Happy writing this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment