About Me

My photo
Teaching is my passion and my mission!

Friends

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Changing it up!

Watching So You Think You Can Dance... typing during commercials.

So, as I mentioned I am changing when I do calendar time to before math. However, I have made some other minor changes, as well.

First- furniture (pictures to follow). I do not have a giant teacher desk. I have a modest table with a pink plaid tablecloth. It is so homey :) . Last year my computer was on the computer station table. Now I have moved it onto my desk! I does take up a bit of space... But I think it will be handy.
Behind my desk I had my low kidney table. This is a kidney table with my own twist! I took the legs off! This lets me get rid of chairs (yay!) and it gives the kids a bit of wiggle room. I was lucky enough to find some foot shaped carpets at Old Time Pottery last summer. When I am at the low table I use a rolling chair that I make as short as possible. I had a separate chair for my desk and the low table. This year I moved my low table so I can just spin from my desk to the low table! Voila! I know this may be hard to imagine... Pictures soon!


Second- behavior system. Last year I used pennies. They exchanged them every Thursday to get prizes- the cheapest was eating lunch in our classroom on Friday! Big seller :) Here was the problem. Child spends all his pennies Thursday on a prize. Friday he breaks a rule- I tell them to bring me a penny for the offense... "But I don't have anymore!"..... grrrrrrr. Can't take away the prize... They earned it.... So... New tactics.
I used the clipchart my first year (check it out HERE if you aren't familiar!) and liked it. So this year I will magically combine the two! My mantra this year will be "School is your job!" I teach in a community where a lot of parents don't work, and I want my kids to understand having a job is important. So we will use the clip chart, and based on their behavior for the day they will earn pennies!! Even if they get to the very bottom of the chart they still get a penny cause they showed up to work :) There are 7 levels to the chart and if they make it to the top they get a BONUS! 10 cents! Wha-hoo!! I think it will be a big hit!


Last- Math Workstations!! If you haven't read it yet, here's a free link of the book... for FREE. I was pleased when I read the organization chapter. I am ahead of the game on that one! I have very little storage space, so I try to keep tidy and don't keep superfluous materials. Again, pictures soon.
The chapter on the procedures was great! A lot like D5- model, model, model.
The best chapters are the ones with all the station ideas! I realized I simply ~NEED~ these markers I've wanted for awhile anyway... So fun! I also realized which materials I am short on, fractions/geometry/money. But, before I buy anything I am going to wait for out NEW math series to arrive. Surely it will have some good stuff in it :)

And, you lovely readers, since you made it this far- a freebie game!! I used Scrappin Doodles clip art and some that I just found using Word. Grab it Here!!


Link

No comments:

Post a Comment