Well, last week was just too busy to blog. So I will just combine all the teacher week blogs into one!
Teacher Talk Tuesday: New teacher advice
1. Make friends with people who clean/cook/take care of you. They are life savers!
2. Look for a mentor (if you aren't assigned one). They are great helpers and can help you get started when you just get stuck.
3. Don't be afraid to ask questions!! Do ask someone privately c: but don't be scared to ask! Like if your kids go to music tomorrow, and you don't know where that is... ASK! Your cafeteria is probably particular about procedures... ASK!
4. Document everything! Keep a notebook and keep up with behavior issues, academic problems or gains, anything that may be important to share with parents or others later.
5. Stop whatever project you have going right now and make SUB PLANS!! Get some activities and books together, your roll/seating chart, schedule, behavior plan, and anything else that will make less work for you when you are sick. If you have it ready now, you will be prepared later!
6. Have FUN! Enjoy your students. Lift them up each day. Find something you love in their individual personalities. Take pictures, be a little silly, and have fun! Share what you love with them.
Where it all goes down Wednesday: Here is the link to my classroom tour post.
Three things Thursday:
Favorite Font is... don't really have one. I use a lot of different things. I am partial to fonts with penguins...
Favorite blogs are The Inspired Apple, Third Grade Meanderings, and Once Upon a First Grade Adventure. The first because I feel *inspired* by her great ideas, and the second two because they are wonderful ladies who I call my friends and mentors!
Favorite online resource is PINTEREST! I get so many great ideas so quickly. I have reproduced several things already this year from Pinterest. Feel free to follow me so you can see all the wonderful stuff I find c:
I feel caught up now.
Classroom update:
This week went very well. We have worked up to 10 minutes of stamina with read to self! I am very proud of the kiddos for that feat. We are working up to a dance party c:
In reading we worked on "Check it and Fix it" strategy. We listened to reading and said "Check it" when we heard something that didn't make sense. Then we went back and tried to fix it.
This strategy will evolve as they become better readers, but for now the point is LISTEN TO YOURSELF READ! If you aren't listening to yourself you will never be able to fix it if you mess up. They had fun practicing with "Peanut Butter and Jelly" partners. We also practiced individually and they made a check on a post it each time they used the strategy. It is so cool to hear them talking about their reading *!!!metacognition!!!*
This week is Horseshow Break. What? You ask... What is horseshow break??? Horseshow break, my friends, is the best idea in the world. In Shelbyville, TN where I am blessed to work, they host the world championship of Walking Horses. It is a very big deal. Everyone in town goes to the horse show or rides in it or works at it... So, we close school. For the horse show. Yes. Its magnificent. So I will be flying out to see my dear Texan loves on Wednesday. Enjoy your week!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love the advice! I need to get on that sub stuff this week, just in case!
ReplyDelete