We had a birthday day in our classroom! It was very fun. However, I have to come clean and say I have a hard time doing celebrations in class. I think I get SO excited and my mind starts going SO fast that we never get to do all the things I wanted, and I feel disappointed afterward… Anyone else feel this way? Anyone? I’m in my third year teaching first grade and I feel like I should have a better handle on it now… hmmph.
Anyway- Birthday Day was great (despite my feelings of not-doing-it-all)! Here are some things we did:
We all wore part hats! And decorated the room with a banner.
Then we put streamers everywhere, too…
We wrote about our favorite birthday. We blew up some balloons and played games with them. We tried to keep it off the ground as long as possible and counted when someone hit it (by 1’s, 2’s, 5’s, etc.) and then we spelled our spelling words the same way. Fun stuff! We also calculated how many candles they have blown out in their lifetime for math.
Then we made our “birthday cupcakes”. Since we celebrated our birthday AND Dr. Seuss’s brithday we made truffula tree cupcakes.
Here’s mine
Here’s a first grade creation
Super cute, right? We used HUGE marshmallows cut in half as the tree tops. It took 2-3 pretzel sticks to hold them up!! But the kids had so much fun eating them.
Here are the thing I wanted to do, but didn’t get to…

This is one I found in Pinterest from http://etadventures.blogspot.com/. It’s a cake made of some boxes and such. It looks sooo coool! And I really wanted to make it with my kiddos. But we didn’t have time. Boooo. Next year we’re making a cool cake.
I feel that there were other things we didn’t do too… I know we didn’t sing Happy Birthday to each other, but that’s because I don’t really like that song… Hmmm. I guess that’s the good thing about blogging months after the fact. You can’t remember what you didn’t do.
We have 3 weeks left of school. ONLY 3 weeks!! I’m so excited about the rest of our year. Its going to be so much fun! Hope you have a great week.
We have a class birthday celebration too! The kiddos love it!
ReplyDeleteI am glad I am not the only one that plans too much! =)
Heather
Heather's Heart