About Me

My photo
Teaching is my passion and my mission!

Friends

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Library Organized!

This week I have finished organizing my library! Hooray for me. Hooray its over. I want to know how you organize your library! I also want to share pictures of mine with you, but I keep forgetting my camera... Oh well, next Friday I'll go in (after our Savannah vacation!!!) and take pictures.

So last year I organized by genre. I leveled nothing. I also realized I did NOT have enough low level books for my kids to be reading Just Right text at the beginning of the year. My friend/mentor Brooke told me she buys sight word sets of books from Scholastic with her bonus points. Genius! So I did too. I want to get one more set before school, and I'll feel good about the number I have.

First of all I went through all my books (feel like I am missing some...) and organized them. I have themed text to use through the year, my books the kids can't touch but I will read aloud, Writer's Workshop texts, and the kids' library books. I divided the kids' books into 4 piles- one for each 9 week segment. I put progressively harder books in each one, but some easier ones will carry over. This took A LONG TIME.

This year I am organizing by genre AND level. Our school library has dot stickers to represent levels, so I got the same. Orange is below 1st grade, yellow 1.0-1.5, green 1.6-2.0. Pretty simple... So I leveled all the books I will be putting out for the first 9 weeks. I used Scholastic's site and the AR site. I had quite a few that weren't in either data base, so I guessed!

So then I put the books into 7 groups: nursery rhymes, favorite books, Sunshine books, Orange level, Yellow level, ABC/Number/Color/Opposite books, and Dr. Seuss books. The groups each have their own tub- labeled with the genre and what level books are inside. For instance- the Dr. Seuss tub has yellow, green, and pink (above 2.5 level) books inside so the tag has a yellow, green, and pink sticker on it.

Now I have to figure out how to use the system.... I want the kids to have books on their level. However, I will have to figure that out for each child- we don't have the STAR test or any other assessment tool to tell us their level. I also don't want to discourage reading the pictures or retelling a story... So here is my idea.
1. For the first 3-4 weeks let kids get whichever books they choose-limit 3 books. After that, limit them to 2 books on their level and 1 free choice. I think that seems ok... Thoughts??

2 comments:

  1. Hi friend! I forgot to tell you that I stumbled across your blog the other day and am now a follower! Even though we use the STAR test for our official levels, I do a benchmark test to find each child's just right guided reading level. Just pick one book from each level and have them at close reach. You could use your guided reading books or I use printable ones from readinga-z.com. Have the child start at a level that is lower than you believe he/she actually is, and just listen and observe. Ask comprehension questions after each book. Try books on the next level and so on until you find that his or her just right level.

    Also, I like the idea of free choice. I let my firsties read any book or even magazines, i spy, etc. during morning work time. During reading workshop, they must read just right books because that is when I want them to focus on really reading to improve their skills. That's how I do it anyways...sorry for writing a whole book about it:)

    Once Upon A First Grade Adventure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that might be you :) Love the ideas! I am going to really focus on one on one conferencing this year rather than small groups, so I think I will be able to level the kiddos pretty accurately. It will just take time!

    ReplyDelete